I have been in a thoughtful mood as of late. One of the areas I have been concentrating on and reading about is personal growth. Whether that be to find a mate, a date, or what to have for supper it is important to understand the why you do something and, perhaps, the should you do it.
The books I have been reading talk about growing in many areas, partly to be able to hold a solid conversation and to have an opinion on things. Apathy is, indeed, a conversation killer and it also stagnates the mind. In order to have an opinion that is worth something, you must be informed well on whatever it is you are holding an opinion of. Take, for example, the highly-charged last presidential election. You could vote simply by party. My parents mostly do that. So do an awfully lot of people I personally know. I try hard not to do that. I listen and read some from both sides and listen some more. Then I actually research a few items, especially near election time. It doesn’t make me better than anyone, but it does round out my personality and I can, usually, see both sides in an argument. It allows me to talk and to talk intelligently.
But, getting back to the task at hand, I would like to simply pose a few questions for you to ponder. I would love for you to answer them in the comments, but I will have done my job if I just get you to do the questions. At least, try to tell me that you read them and are looking at them (if you are).
1) What is the greatest thing in the world to you? Why?
2) What is the most charged topic you can think of for you? How do you stand on it? Why?
3) Are you more read, in general, than most of your friends? family? Does that make it harder or easier to talk with them?
4) Do you consider current books and/or movies important enough to research and to understand before you give an opinion?
5) Thinking of number 4, how do you feel about music?
That will do. Enjoy the questions. Have fun with them. Get a dialogue going here if you want to. It’s supposed to be enjoyable to learn and to discuss. If it isn’t, maybe we best start looking there first!